Close Search

Website Search

Wakenight & Associates, P.C.

707 N. York Street, Suite 201, Elmhurst, IL 60126

DuPage County | 630-852-9700

Mokena | 815-727-6144   Oak Park | 708-848-3159

Contact Our Firm

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Name *
Email *
Phone *
How would you prefer to be contacted?
No Preference
Briefly describe your legal issue. *

DisclaimerThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read and understand the disclaimer.

Contact Us

DuPage County Attorneys for Child Issues in Divorce

Western Springs Lawyers for Child-Related Divorce Matters

Lawyers for Divorcing Parents in Elmhurst and Oak Brook

At Wakenight & Associates, P.C., we know that a divorce can be incredibly difficult. You and your spouse are likely to face a wide variety of challenges as you address concerns such as dividing your marital property and determining how much spousal support will be paid, all while dealing with the range of emotions associated with ending a marriage.

If you and your spouse have children, however, your divorce will probably be even more complicated. Issues related to parental responsibilities—also known as child custody—and child support will need to be addressed so that your children can begin adapting to their new, post-divorce reality. The lawyers at our firm are equipped to help you manage the avalanche of logistical, parental, custodial, residential, behavioral, and personal factors related to a divorce that involves children.

Protecting the Best Interests of Children in Illinois

The Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act (IMDMA) is the collection of statutes that govern the divorce process for the state. The IMDMA refers to the "best interests" of children nearly four dozen separate times when talking about various aspects of a divorce. By comparison, the law makes no reference to the "best interests" of either spouse in a divorce. This is because the law requires the court to make decisions that are in the best interests of children but makes no such guarantees about the best interests of the adults involved.

As a parent, you want what is best for your children, but you deserve to have your own rights protected as well. The skilled attorneys at Wakenight & Associates, P.C. realize that it is up to us to fight for your best interests in a divorce that involves children. With more than 95 years of combined family law experience, our lawyers have the knowledge and skill to protect your rights without compromising the best interests of your children.

Child-Related Concerns During a Divorce

When a couple with children gets divorced, there are a number of considerations that they must deal with that non-parents do not have. At Wakenight & Associates, P.C., we are equipped to help you address issues such as:

Our attorneys recognize children generally fare best after a divorce when both parents remain active in the children's lives. We can help you and your spouse develop a cooperative parenting plan that clearly lays out the rights and responsibilities that each of you will assume. Such a plan can provide a strong foundation for the future and minimize the impact of your divorce on your children.

In some cases, however, amicable negotiation is not a viable option. If this describes your situation, we are prepared to help you build a case that protects your rights and those of your children. Our lawyers are experienced litigators who are not afraid to fight on your behalf inside the courtroom in pursuit of the favorable outcome that you deserve.

Call 630-852-9700 Today

To learn more about child-related issues in a divorce, contact our office. Call 630-852-9700 for a free, no-obligation consultation at Wakenight & Associates, P.C. today. We represent clients in Elmhurst, Oak Brook, Addison, Lombard, Villa Park, La Grange, Burr Ridge, Western Springs, Wood Dale, Kane County, DuPage County, and the surrounding areas.




Contact Us

Contact Us



Back to Top