Close Search

Website Search

Wakenight & Associates, P.C.

1100 Lake Street, Suite 120, Oak Park, IL 60301

DuPage County | 630-852-9700

Mokena | 815-727-6144   Oak Park | 708-848-3159

Contact Our Firm

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Name *
Email *
Phone *
How would you prefer to be contacted?
No Preference
Briefly describe your legal issue. *

DisclaimerThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read and understand the disclaimer.

Contact Us

DuPage County Child Support for College Expenses Attorneys

Lombard Child Support for College Expenses Attorneys

Lawyers for Non-Minor Support Cases in Elmhurst and Oak Brook

At Wakenight & Associates, P.C., we recognize the importance of continuing education after high school. If you are a parent, you probably realize that a college degree or a certification in a trade can give your child additional opportunities in life. Over the last several decades, however, the costs associated with post-high school education have increased dramatically, and many families struggle to send their children to college. This can be especially true for families where the parents are divorced. If you are a divorced parent who wants to help your child pay for college, you have the right under Illinois law to ask your ex-spouse to help too.

College Expense Assistance for Children of Divorce in Illinois

A standard order for child support in Illinois is usually set to end when the child in question turns 18 years old or graduates from high school, whichever occurs last. The court, however, has the authority to order either or both parents to continue providing support to help the child pay for college, depending on the circumstances of the situation. The continued support may be ordered even after the child reached the age of legal majority. The request for such support must come from one of the parents rather than the child.

In determining whether to order non-minor support for college expenses, there are many factors that the court will consider. First, your divorce judgment or settlement agreement must be examined to see if college expenses were addressed during your divorce negotiations. If, for example, you agreed in advance to pay half of your child's college costs, the court could issue an order that holds you to that agreement.

If your settlement or judgment is unclear or does not address your child's college expense, the court will consider the resources available to each parent and their respective needs, including their savings for retirement. The child's resources must also be considered, in addition to his or her academic performance. For example, the court might be understandably hesitant to order a parent to help with college expenses if the child consistently struggled in high school and was likely to fail out of college quickly. The skilled attorneys at Wakenight & Associates, P.C. have more than 95 years of combined legal experience, and we are adept at developing customized solutions for families regarding college expenses.

Understanding the Limits

Illinois law includes provisions that are designed to protect parents who have been ordered to pay non-minor support for college expenses. According to the law, the student must be under the age of 23 and not married in order to qualify for support. Upon a showing of good cause, the age limit can be extended to age 25. The money paid by the parents must be used to offset costs such as tuition, books, room and board, supplies, utilities, travel, and other expenses directly related to post-high school education. If the student gets married or fails to maintain a C average, the support order may be terminated.

At Wakenight & Associates, P.C., we can assist you if you need help paying for your child to attend college. We can also help if your ex-spouse has asked you to contribute to your child's college costs. We will work with you in exploring your options while safeguarding your rights every step of the way.

Call 630-852-9700 Today

If you have questions about non-minor support for college expenses in Illinois, contact our office to get the answers you need. Call 630-852-9700 for a free, no-obligation consultation today. We serve clients in Elmhurst, Oak Brook, Villa Park, Hinsdale, Addison, Lombard, Western Springs, Burr Ridge, Wood Dale, Kane County, DuPage County, and the surrounding regions.

  • Elite Lawyer
  • American Bar Association
  • Better Business Association
  • Illinois State Bar Association
  • West Suburban Bar Association
  • Northwest Suburban Bar Association
  • Will County Bar Association
  • DuPage County Bar Association
  • Lake County Bar Association
  • Kane County Bar Association




Contact Us

Contact Us



Back to Top