Close Search

Website Search

Wakenight & Associates, P.C.

1100 Lake Street, Suite 120, Oak Park, IL 60301

DuPage County | 630-852-9700

Mokena | 815-727-6144   Oak Park | 708-848-3159

Contact Our Firm

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Name *
Email *
Phone *
How would you prefer to be contacted?
No Preference
Briefly describe your legal issue. *

DisclaimerThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read and understand the disclaimer.

Contact Us

How Can I Ensure That I Receive the Child Support I Deserve?

Posted on in Child Support

DuPage County child support lawyer

In the state of Illinois, child custody laws have changed over the past decade, and child support laws have been updated as well. For instance, Illinois no longer recognizes a “non-custodial” parent in a divorce. However, in many cases, the parent with less parental responsibility and parenting time with a child will be mandated to pay some form of child support. Below we will discuss how you and your attorney can work to ensure your child support agreement is accurately calculated and what steps you can take if you are not receiving your payments on time or in full. 

How Payments Are Calculated 

In 2017, the Illinois state legislature passed a new law that redefined the way in which child support payments are calculated. The new legislation is centered around an “income shares” model that uses the income of both parents to calculate the support owed, rather than the income of the higher-earning parent. According to this approach, courts determine the amount of child support parents are responsible for by using economic tables that take into account the combined income of the parents and the number of children involved. Each parent's child support obligation is based on the percentage of the combined income they earn.

Fighting for Payments

Even after child support payment plans are either agreed upon or mandated in court, the receiving party may never receive his or her payments in full. In these situations, you may need to contact an attorney and take steps to enforce the court's orders. According to federal laws regarding child support, a state’s attorney has the legal right to garnish wages, freeze bank accounts, and suspend a non-paying parent’s driver’s license. In extreme situations, the non-paying parent may end up facing jail time. Do not be intimidated out of the child support you deserve; understand that you have the right to go after the money you need. 

Contact a DuPage County Child Support Lawyer 

At Wakenight & Associates, P.C., we fully understand the challenges of a divorce. We also recognize the importance of ensuring that your child receives the financial support they deserve. If you are preparing for divorce, it is time to speak with a knowledgeable family law professional. When children are involved, protecting their best interests is our top priority. To schedule a complimentary initial consultation with a skilled DuPage County divorce attorney, call us today at 630-852-9700.



  • Elite Lawyer
  • American Bar Association
  • Better Business Association
  • Illinois State Bar Association
  • West Suburban Bar Association
  • Northwest Suburban Bar Association
  • Will County Bar Association
  • DuPage County Bar Association
  • Lake County Bar Association
  • Kane County Bar Association




Contact Us

Contact Us



Back to Top