Close Search

Website Search

Wakenight & Associates, P.C.

1100 Lake Street, Suite 120, Oak Park, IL 60301

DuPage County | 630-852-9700

Mokena | 815-727-6144   Oak Park | 708-848-3159

Contact Our Firm

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Name *
Email *
Phone *
How would you prefer to be contacted?
No Preference
Briefly describe your legal issue. *

DisclaimerThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read and understand the disclaimer.

Contact Us

How Can I Receive an Order of Protection in Illinois?

Posted on in Family Law

Elmhurst domestic violence restraining order lawyerDomestic violence is an ongoing crisis in Illinois. During a recent 12-month study, more than 65,000 incidents were reported to police, while countless others went unreported. Around 33 percent of women and 25 percent of men across the U.S. have been abused by an intimate partner, and domestic violence hotlines get around 21,000 calls per day nationwide.

If you are a domestic violence victim or face the threat of physical harm, you can pursue effective legal action by filing for an order of protection. If you believe this is necessary for your safety and/or that of your children, contact a skilled family law attorney who can help you navigate the legal process.

Illinois Orders of Protection

An order of protection is issued by the court to place restrictions on an abuser or potential abuser. These orders are available to family or household members associated with the accused, including: 

  • Blood relatives
  • Married or divorced persons
  • Individuals who share or once shared a residence
  • People who share or potentially share a child or children by blood
  • Individuals in or previously in a romantic relationship
  • Disabled persons and their personal assistants 

What Does an Order of Protection Do?

A protective order can force an abuser to abide by numerous requirements. They can be prohibited from making any future threats, sharing a residence with their accuser, and contacting or approaching the accuser. They may be ordered to appear in court, attend domestic violence counseling, temporarily give up child custody, pay financial support or damages that resulted from the abuse, or turn over any firearms to law enforcement.

If your abuser was not arrested because you did not initially call the police, you may press charges by filing a police report. This report and accompanying evidence will then be passed on to the state’s attorney for prosecution.

Contact an Elmhurst Family Law Attorney

If you need an order of protection, contact the experienced family law attorneys at Wakenight & Associates, P.C. as soon as possible. We will diligently work with you to complete and file all the necessary forms, and we will appear in front of the judge with you to show why this step is needed for your immediate protection. Do not hesitate to take action if you or your family are in danger. Call a DuPage County order of protection lawyer today at 630-852-9700 to schedule a free consultation.


  • Elite Lawyer
  • American Bar Association
  • Better Business Association
  • Illinois State Bar Association
  • West Suburban Bar Association
  • Northwest Suburban Bar Association
  • Will County Bar Association
  • DuPage County Bar Association
  • Lake County Bar Association
  • Kane County Bar Association




Contact Us

Contact Us



Back to Top