Close Search

Website Search

Wakenight & Associates, P.C.

1100 Lake Street, Suite 120, Oak Park, IL 60301

DuPage County | 630-852-9700

Mokena | 815-727-6144   Oak Park | 708-848-3159

Contact Our Firm

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Name *
Email *
Phone *
How would you prefer to be contacted?
No Preference
Briefly describe your legal issue. *

DisclaimerThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read and understand the disclaimer.

Contact Us

How Do Divorced Parents Pay for College in Illinois?

Posted on in Child Support

Oak Brook divorce lawyers

In the state of Illinois, child support is an element present in the vast majority of divorce cases involving children. Child support is meant to provide for the basic needs of minor children and is no longer enforceable when the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever comes last. These days, children are often dependent on their parents for a few years after they graduate from high school, especially if they attend college. The Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act addresses this issue and provides guidelines for parents who will help pay for college expenses.

Covered College Expenses

The court can require one or both parents to be responsible for paying educational expenses until the child turns 23, or 25 in some circumstances. The potential expenses include:

  • Up to five college applications;
  • Two college entrance exams;
  • One college entrance exam prep course;
  • Tuition and fees;
  • Housing expenses, whether on-campus or off-campus;
  • Medical expenses, including health insurance and dental expenses;
  • Reasonable living expenses, including food, utilities, and transportation for a non-resident student; and
  • The cost of textbooks or other supplies necessary for the child to attend school.

The court can order that the funds for these expenses be paid directly to the child, to the educational institution, to either of the parents or through the use of a special account or trust created and designated solely for the use of educational expenses.

Who is Responsible for Paying?

Illinois courts understand that not all families will be able to provide financial assistance for these expenses. This is why the court can require both parents and the child to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and apply for financial aid directly through the school. The court will also determine how much each parent is responsible for providing by considering the following factors:

  • The present and future financial resources of each parent;
  • The standard of living the child would have had if not for the divorce;
  • The financial resources of the child; and
  • The child’s academic performance.

Contact a DuPage County Child Support Lawyer

Everyone knows college is not cheap. Costs can reach $50,000 a year for tuition alone. If you have a child that will be starting college soon, get in touch with a skilled Elmhurst, IL family law attorney. At Wakenight & Associates, P.C., we can help you make sure your child’s post-secondary educational expenses are covered. Call our office today at 630-528-0734 to schedule a free consultation.


  • Elite Lawyer
  • American Bar Association
  • Better Business Association
  • Illinois State Bar Association
  • West Suburban Bar Association
  • Northwest Suburban Bar Association
  • Will County Bar Association
  • DuPage County Bar Association
  • Lake County Bar Association
  • Kane County Bar Association




Contact Us

Contact Us



Back to Top