Close Search

Website Search

Wakenight & Associates, P.C.

1100 Lake Street, Suite 120, Oak Park, IL 60301

DuPage County | 630-852-9700

Mokena | 815-727-6144   Oak Park | 708-848-3159

Contact Our Firm

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Name *
Email *
Phone *
How would you prefer to be contacted?
No Preference
Briefly describe your legal issue. *

DisclaimerThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read and understand the disclaimer.

Contact Us

Modifying Child Support Orders for Military Parents

Posted on in Uncategorized

Life for service members of the united States military can be complicated, particularly when going through a divorce . What complicates the process is child custody and child support. Active service members are often deployed far away from their children , and they do not make as much money as you might expect they deserve.

For example, if a military service member has a child, his or her child support payments might be based on a good civilian job that he or she has when not on active duty. However, if he or she is deployed, military salary kicks in, which is typically a lot lower. During active duty, the service member falls further and further behind on payments, which becomes problematic when he or she finally returns home. The service member might even be punished for non-payment.

To avoid this kind of situation, you can modify your child custody order before you are deployed. The moment you get your orders, you should contact an experienced Illinois child custody attorney to help you submit a request for modification to the court. Petitions to modify child support are fairly straightforward, and an attorney can help you file the correct paperwork.

While you can represent yourself, several resources may be available for you if you can't afford representation. Many military installations have legal assistance offices. The attorneys there may be able to offer advice or steer you toward helpful resources, though they are not allowed to represent you in civilian court. There are also resources for local legal aid in many cities and counties if you are a low-income individual in need of assistance. You can also check with your local district attorney , but he or she may refuse your request, as many of them are authorized to represent custodial parents seeking to collect child support.

If you want to discuss your case with a skilled attorney , don't hesitate to give us a call. Our lawyers are experienced with helping military service members with family law issues. Let our Illinois military divorce lawyers take a look at your situation and provide excellent legal advocacy. Wakenight & Associates, P.C. is a firm dedicated to making family law as stress-free and compassionate as possible.

Call us or fill out our online form today to discuss your case in a free consultation today!




Contact Us

Contact Us



Back to Top