Close Search

Website Search

Wakenight & Associates, P.C.

1100 Lake Street, Suite 120, Oak Park, IL 60301

DuPage County | 630-852-9700

Mokena | 815-727-6144   Oak Park | 708-848-3159

Contact Our Firm

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Name *
Email *
Phone *
How would you prefer to be contacted?
No Preference
Briefly describe your legal issue. *

DisclaimerThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read and understand the disclaimer.

Contact Us

Under Which Circumstances Can a Marriage Be Annulled in Illinois?

Posted on in Uncategorized

Like most states, Illinois has its own laws and regulations that govern the distinct line between the divorce process and annulments. Despite misconceptions popularized by media and religious institutions, civil annulments simply affirm that a marriage never existed in the eyes of the law. Conversely, divorce marks the end of an existing and valid legal union.

Illinois courts technically don't offer “annulment of marriage”actions, but you can ask a judge for a “judgment of invalidity.”Legally, there is no difference between these two terms. A judgment of invalidity is a court order stating that your marriage is invalid per Illinois law. However, these are very rarely granted in Illinois except under specific circumstances. If you're interested in requesting a judgment of invalidity, you must first prove to the court that your situation warrants it.

Grounds for a judgement of invalidity include:

  • One spouse lacks the mental capacity to consent to marriage
  • One spouse was under the influence and unable to consent to marriage
    • A petitioner has 90 days to file for a judgment of invalidity for this situation
  • One spouse was forced, threatened, blackmailed, or coerced into marriage
  • the marriage is illegal because it is bigamous
    • A spouse, the Illinois State attorney , or a child of either party can file for a judgement on invalidity with in 3 years of the first spouse's death
  • One spouse hid the fact that they lack the ability to consummate the marriage
    • A petitioner has 1 year to for a judgment of invalidity for this situation
  • At least one spouse is under theage of 17 and failed to obtain legal orparental approval
    • A petitioner ( the underage spouse or the underage spouse's parent)must file for a judgement on invalidity before the underage spouse reaches the legal age of marriage

If you're interested in filing for a judgement of invalidity, it's important to first discuss your personal situation with a divorce attorney .Even though it's technically an annulment, there could still be financial and child custody matters that need to be addressed. Your next step is to file a petition with the clerk of the circuit court. Like a divorce , your spouse will be served papers by a process server or sheriff.

Have Questions? Schedule a Consultation

If you have questions or concerns about the divorce process or judgments of invalidity, contact the Illinois divorce lawyers at Wakenight & Associates, P.C. Our experienced legal team can evaluate your situation and help you determine which path is best for your family.

Call Wakenight & Associates, P.C. at 630-852-9700 to schedule your free consultation. We have offices conveniently located across the state of Illinois.




Contact Us

Contact Us



Back to Top