Close Search

Website Search

Wakenight & Associates, P.C.

1100 Lake Street, Suite 120, Oak Park, IL 60301

DuPage County | 630-852-9700

Mokena | 815-727-6144   Oak Park | 708-848-3159

Contact Our Firm

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Name *
Email *
Phone *
How would you prefer to be contacted?
No Preference
Briefly describe your legal issue. *

DisclaimerThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read and understand the disclaimer.

Contact Us

What Happens If My spouse Is Disobeying Court Orders?

Posted on in Uncategorized

While many divorce s can be complicated, some can be worsened by the non participation or reluctance of one party. In some cases, only one-half of a couple wants to get divorce d; the other wants things to remain as they are. If a spouse dislikes the proceedings or has a tendency to disobey authority in general, it can often be hard to force them to comply with any orders a court may decide on.

For example, when couples divorce they can sometimes be incapable of agreeing on anything, including how to split child custody. A court can issue a temporary restraining order (TRO) that designates which parent can stay in the home with the children and which must move out. this TRO is usually transitory until the final ruling is made.

However, if your spouse is disobeying this type of order, or decisions a judge made in the final divorce proceedings, there are actions you can take. If your ex is violating a court order by not paying child support, the Illinois Department of Health care and Family Services (HFS) Division of Child Support Services (DCSS) can help by tracking down your ex and taking legal measures. For example, this organization can seize his orher tax return to pay past due support. Likewise, they can seize his or her driver's license, professional license, and passport until hisor her payments are updated.

You could also file a petition for contempt of court if it's something other than child support. If your ex is held in contempt by the court, his or her wages could be garnished as punishment or in recompense, and he or she could also earn jail time.

If you need help getting a reluctant spouse or ex to obey court orders, don't hesitate to give us a call. Our skilled Illinois family law attorneys are experienced in helping families across the state deal with their legal problems. We understand this may be a tough time for you and your family.Our lawyers strive to make the legal process as stress-free and uncomplicated as possible. We are also exclusively dedicated to family law practice, meaning we don't get bogged down in other legal practice areas.Let us see what we can do for you in a free telephone consultation.

Contact us by phone or fill out our online form to schedule a free case consultation today.




Contact Us

Contact Us



Back to Top