Close Search

Website Search

Wakenight & Associates, P.C.

707 N. York Street, Suite 201, Elmhurst, IL 60126

Elmhurst | 630-528-0734

Mokena | 815-458-5660   Oak Park | 708-480-9651

Contact Our Firm

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Name *
Email *
Phone *
How would you prefer to be contacted?
No Preference
Briefly describe your legal issue. *

DisclaimerThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read and understand the disclaimer.

Contact Us
Recent blog posts

Posted on in Uncategorized

One of the first and most important steps in the divorce process is deciding which spouse is going to keep the family home. this helps a divorcing couple decide who is responsible for paying the mortgage during and after the divorce . However, if the home was purchased using a VA loan, this process can get a little more complicated.

VA Home Loans

A veteran may be eligible for a loan if they served their required term or were honorably discharged. this loan can be used to purchase a home and help a burgeoning family start the next chapter of their lives. The veteran's spouse can share and enjoy their partner's benefits for the duration of their marriage. However, once the divorce is finalized, these benefits are stripped away entirely.

Veterans can only receive one VA loan at a time, so they rarely want to leave the family home to their ex-spouse. It's important that whichever spouse receives the family home is able to afford it. If a single owner can't pay thefull mortgage on their own, they may need to refinance the house to secure a longer mortgage or lower the interest rate to make the monthly payments more affordable. Usually, this option is only applicable if the veteran keeps the home or is willing to let their spouse have it for the sake of their children .


Establishing a child custody arrangement is one of the most challenging aspects of the divorce process. Unfortunately, it's difficult for many ex-spouses to treat each other cordially once the divorce has been finalized. In fact, sometimes a resentful ex-spouse can behave in a way that unintentionally influences how a child perceives their other parent. In worst-case scenarios, an ex may intentionally drive a wedge that separates a child physically and emotionally from their other parent.

Parental alienation is a serious concern for many divorce d parents. The only way to manage the situation is to recognize the signs of parental alienation and, if necessary, seek legal assistance.

What Is Parental Alienation?

Parental alienation occurs when one parent manipulates a child into disengaging emotionally from their other parent. By exploiting a child's guilt and confusion, a parent can trick their child into attaching negative associations to their other parent. However, this creates a difficult psychological dilemma that can permanently traumatize a child.


Once the summer months fade into fall, children across the country start dreaming of the one night a year they can throw on their favorite costumes to knock on doors for yummy treats and playful frights. However, any holiday event can be difficult for families once a divorce has been finalized, and Halloween is no exception. It's not unusual for children to lack the Halloween spirit because they are still processing their new reality. As a responsible co-parent, it's your responsibility to put aside your own complicated feelings to ensure that your child has the best Halloween ever.

We understand that this may be an emotional event for you as a parent.To help you get through this night, the Illinois divorce attorney s atWakenight & Associates, P.C. have assembled the following helpful tips:

Tip #1: Don't Put Pressure on Your Child

Some parents make the mistake of asking their child who they would prefer to spend a holiday with . this puts an intense amount of pressure on a child that is still reconciling with a divorce and may be afraid to hurt one parent's feelings. How can they have fun running around the neighborhood if they're feeling guilty?


Like most states, Illinois has its own laws and regulations that govern the distinct line between the divorce process and annulments. Despite misconceptions popularized by media and religious institutions, civil annulments simply affirm that a marriage never existed in the eyes of the law. Conversely, divorce marks the end of an existing and valid legal union.

Illinois courts technically don't offer “annulment of marriage”actions, but you can ask a judge for a “judgment of invalidity.”Legally, there is no difference between these two terms. A judgment of invalidity is a court order stating that your marriage is invalid per Illinois law. However, these are very rarely granted in Illinois except under specific circumstances. If you're interested in requesting a judgment of invalidity, you must first prove to the court that your situation warrants it.

Grounds for a judgement of invalidity include:


We are currently in the middle of an interesting cultural shift: adults are marrying and divorcing at increasingly older ages. this naturally impacts many aspects of the divorce process, especially when it comes to custody and child support. However, what happens when a couple divorce s and their child is an intellectually disabled adult? Does one parent still need to pay child support?

In Illinois, the answer to this question is inconclusive. Per section 513.5of the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act, a parent can request financial support for a disabled non-minor child. The statute specifically states that a disabled person is an individual “who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a majorlife activity, has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment.”

the court considers 3 factors before deciding to award child support for an intellectually disabled non-minor child:





Contact Us

Contact Us



Back to Top