Close Search

Website Search

Wakenight & Associates, P.C.

1100 Lake Street, Suite 120, Oak Park, IL 60301

DuPage County | 630-852-9700

Mokena | 815-727-6144   Oak Park | 708-848-3159

Contact Our Firm

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Name *
Email *
Phone *
How would you prefer to be contacted?
No Preference
Briefly describe your legal issue. *

DisclaimerThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read and understand the disclaimer.

Contact Us

Elmhurst Child Custody and Paternity Lawyers

Addison Paternity and Child Custody Lawyers

Paternity Lawyers for Child Related Issues in DuPage County

At Wakenight & Associates, P.C., we believe in protecting the rights of fathers who wish to remain active in the lives of their children. Studies have long shown that growing up without a father makes a child more likely to have problems in school, experiment with drugs, break the law, and experience psychological and emotional problems throughout his or her lifetime.

According to the law in Illinois, a father is entitled to the same considerations that are afforded to a mother regarding parental responsibilities (child custody) and parenting time (visitation) following a divorce. In such cases, the court is expected to make decisions that serve the child's best interests. Things are much different, however, for a father who is not married to the mother of his child. If you are an unmarried father looking to exercise your rights, our attorneys can help you manage the avalanche of personal, emotional, paternal, custodial, and legal considerations associated with your case.

Trusted Counsel for Father's Rights in Villa Park and Addison

When a man fathers a child outside of marriage, the man is not presumed to have any legal rights or responsibilities regarding the child. Moral obligations aside, such a man does not have the standing to ask for custody or parenting, nor can he be ordered to pay child support. The only way for a man to obtain these rights and responsibilities regarding his child is to establish his legal paternity. Paternity can be established voluntarily or through administrative or court proceedings.

While some legal fathers are content to pay child support and remain uninvolved with their children, others look forward to being active and healthy role models. At Wakenight & Associates, P.C., we know that establishing paternity is only the beginning for many men. Our lawyers understand that the determination of paternity does not mean that you will automatically be given authority to make decisions for your child. Instead, legal paternity gives you the opportunity to seek such authority.

Decision-Making Responsibilities

In most cases where paternity is an issue, the mother is given sole authority for making important decisions for the child. These decisions include the child's education, health care, religious training, and extracurricular activities. If you wish to be involved with such decisions, you will need to show that your involvement will serve the child's best interests. When determining whether to grant your request, the court will consider a number of factors, including:

  • Your relationship and willingness to cooperate with the child's other parent;
  • Your relationship with your child;
  • Whether you have attempted to remain involved in your child's life prior to your petition;
  • The benefits your child will receive from your participation in his or her life; and
  • The wishes of your child, taking his or her age and maturity into account.

Our team can also help you negotiate with your child's other parent so that you can avoid a long, drawn-out court proceeding. No matter what challenges may arise, we will work hard on your behalf and assist you in providing for your child.

Call 630-852-9700 Today

If you are a father looking to become more involved with your child, contact our office. Call 630-852-9700 to schedule a free consultation with a compassionate family lawyer. We help fathers in Elmhurst, Oak Brook, Villa Park, Addison, Lombard, Burr Ridge, Western Springs, Kane County, DuPage County, and the surrounding areas.

  • Elite Lawyer
  • American Bar Association
  • Better Business Association
  • Illinois State Bar Association
  • West Suburban Bar Association
  • Northwest Suburban Bar Association
  • Will County Bar Association
  • DuPage County Bar Association
  • Lake County Bar Association
  • Kane County Bar Association




Contact Us

Contact Us



Back to Top